for College Students
Part I Listening Comprehension (25 minutes, 30 points)
Section A Short Conversations (6 points)
Directions: In this section, you will hear 6 short conversations. At the end of each conversation, a question will be asked about what was said. Both the conversation and the question will be read only once. After each question, there will be a pause. During the pause, you must read the four choices marked A, B, C and D, and decide which is the best answer. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
1. A. Keys and a purse. B. Glasses and keys.
C. Glasses and a bag. D. Glasses, keys and a purse.
2. A. A plate. B. A table. C. A lamp. D. A phone.
3. A. They are under the chair by the television.
B. They are under the chair with the rubbish.
C. They are beside the television.
D. They are by the door with the rubbish.
4. A. Grapes and oranges. B. Grapes and apples.
C. Bananas and grapes. D. Bananas and oranges.
5. A. Five to three. B. Five past three.
C. Twenty five to three. D. Twenty five past three.
6. A. The restaurant. B. The market. C. The cinema. D. The sports center.
Section B Long Conversation (4 points )
Directions: In this section, you will hear one long conversation. At the end of the conversation, 4 questions will be asked about what was said. You will hear both the conversation and the questions only once. After each question, there will be a pause. During the pause, you must read the four choices marked A, B, C and D, and decide which is the best answer. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
7. A.￡6. B.￡16. C.￡60. D.￡66.
8. A. One. B. Two. C. Three. D. Four.
9. A. In a photographer’s studio. B. In the library.
C. In the post office. D. In the shopping center.
10. A. A letter from her college. B. Her passport.
C. Her student card. D. Her driving license.
Section C News Items (10 points)
Directions: In this section, you will hear 10 short pieces of news from BBC or VOA. After each news item and question, there will be a pause. During the pause, you must read the three choices marked A, B and C, and decide which is the best answer. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
11. A. 6. B. 16. C. 60.
12. A. To bring more foreign language speakers into government service.
B. To promote trade with foreign countries.
C. To make people learn foreign languages at an early age.
13. A. An hour. B. More than an hour. C. Less than an hour.
14. A. To get publicity for their cause.
B. To get some money for their group.
C. To get more rights for their group.
15. A. Ticket prices have been falling and their incomes rising.
B. Aviation fuel is becoming less expensive.
C. British people prefer to travel by plane.
16. A. More than eighty thousand.
B. More than sixty-two thousand.
C. More than fifty-three thousand.
17. A. 30. B. 27. C. 57.
18. A. Baton Rouge. B. Louisiana. C. Atlanta.
19. A. Reduce violations of intellectual property rights.
B. Control the growing population.
C. Working together to fight terrorism.
20. A. Workers and policemen.
B. Farmers and the unemployed.
C. Workers and farmers.
Section D Passages (10 points)
Directions: In this section, you will hear 2 passages. At the end of each passage, you will hear 4 or 6 questions. After you hear a question, you must choose the best answer from the four choices marked A, B, C and D. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
Questions 21 to 24 are based on the passage you have just heard.
21. A. He is very thin. B. He is very tall.
C. He is very short. D. He is very fat.
22. A. He met a cook from a restaurant. B. He met a man who had a farm.
C. He met two fat farmers. D. He met a farmer and his wife.
23. A. He wanted to have something to eat for lunch.
B. He wanted to go to a restaurant for dinner.
C. He wanted to make a cup of coffee.
D. He wanted to do some farm work.
24. A. He wanted some green beans. B. He wanted a big steak.
C. He wanted some cake and coffee. D. He wanted lots of potatoes.
Questions 25 to 30 are based on the passage you have just heard.
25. A. Last week. B. Three weeks ago.
C. Two months ago. D. Three years ago.
26. A. By coach. B. By bus.
C. By car. D. By train.
27. A. 9 am to 9 pm. B. 10 am to 8 pm.
C. 10 am to 9 pm. D. 10 am to 10 pm.
28. A. Get information. B. Watch a film.
C. Find a bank. D. Buy some shoes.
29. A. Feed the ducks. B. Take a bus ride round the lake.
C. Go swimming. D. Go sailing.
30. A. There was nowhere to put the rubbish.
B. There were not enough cleaners.
C. The food in the café was disappointing.
D. The service in the shops was slow.
Part II Vocabulary and Structure (5 minutes, l0 points)
Directions: There are I0 incomplete sentences in this part. For each blank there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
31. I can't agree with my Mum. I think that such an old-fashioned dress can't cost a ________. She says 100 pounds is a real ________.
A. lot of money; luck B. bargain; luck
C. fortune; bargain D. big sum; fortune
32. ________ is on the rise, with over 20% of serious crimes being committed by children under the age of seventeen.
A. Junior crime B. Juvenile delinquency
C. Minor crime D. Senior delinquency
33. The Smiths were leaving that ________ town. Everybody wanted to escape its noise and pollution and was looking forward to a ________ country life.
A. crowded; peaceful B. deserted; peaceful
C. desert; thrilling D. empty; sour
34. When I first began writing poetry, I think the poets that I had studied at school ________ my approach and the things I wrote about.
A. communicated B. impressed C. influenced D. discussed
35. She is an excellent teacher who has taught in four schools. ________she taught, her principals had a high opinion of her.
A. Wherever B. Everywhere
C. Inasmuch as D. In such schools that
36. My friend Tanya ________ Japanese for six years before she ________ Japan. I've just received a letter from her. It says she has been studying Chinese for three months and ________ for China in a month.
A. had been studying; visited; is leaving B. studied; had visited; will live in
C. has studied; visited; would leave D. was studying; has visited; leaves
37. At the last place Gary worked, they ________ an annual company picnic. All the employees ________ bring their families along and spend the day at a nearby park. It was great.
A. had to have; had to B. used to have; couldn't
C. would have; didn't have to D. used to have; would
38. They ________ such a big van ________ the price of gas would skyrocket.
A. would have bought; if they knew
B. wouldn't have bought; had they known
C. wouldn't have bought; if had they known
D. wouldn't have bought; did they know
39. We’re going to paint the town ________ to celebrate our win.
A. blue B. purple C. gold D. red
40. Written in central Canada in the early part of the twentieth century, ________ depicts life in Manitoda.
A. The Midnight Sun was Victor Frank's last novel,